Tuesday, February 14, 2023

More Vintage Valentines - 60s, 70s & 80s

Several years ago, I shared some classroom Valentines from my childhood.  A good number of those were unused Disney-themed Valentines, which I had saved for years.

Last year, I shared some vintage Valentine cards from a scrapbook my mom had made, back in the 1950s.

Today, I'm sharing some Valentine cards from the 60s, 70s and 80s, which were sent by members of my family.

This first one is from the 1960s and was sent to my brother, from our grandmother.

The back of the card is fully printed with graphics, and includes the name of the company that manufactured it, which was "Buzza."

Inside message:

These next two are both "Hallmark" cards from the 1970s, and were sent to me by my grandparents.


These next two were sent to me by my aunt and uncle.  This first one is from the 1970s.

I'm not sure of the decade for this card.  It could have been the late 1970s, but I'm thinking it could have also been the early 1980s.  It included three folded panels, but is shown here, unfolded:

I found two more Disney-themed Valentines, which I had not previously posted here on the blog.  As a child, I selected these from my box of "classroom" Valentines, to give to my mom.


This is another card that I gave to my mom when I was very young.  The rabbit on this one is flocked, meaning that it's "fuzzy" to the touch.


And here is yet another bunny-themed Valentine for "Mother."


This card was given to my mom, by my brother.  It was sold as a blank card, with no printed sentiment inside....you had to write your own!  For some reason, I really like the graphics on this card.

There is a 1980 copyright date on the back of the card.

Here's another one that I am not sure about the decade.  It could be from the seventies, but it could also be from the early eighties.  This one was sent to my brother, by my aunt and uncle.

Inside message:

And in case you don't think clowns on a Valentine card are scary (which I happen to think clowns on anything, are ALWAYS scary), take a look at this Valentine.  Something about these graphics....specifically the little girl, are a little creepy.  This card was given to my mom, by my great-grandmother.  My mom was already an adult at this point, but I remember my grandparents complaining at times, that it was difficult to find greeting cards that were more appropriate for "adult" grandchildren.  Apparently, I forgot to scan the inside of this card, because I couldn't find it in my files.

I hope everyone has a very happy Valentine's Day!


8 comments:

"Lou and Sue" said...

TokyoMagic, these are such sweet Valentines. That last one looks so familiar...I think I have one that's similar - I'll have to dig through my stuff to see.

Thank you for the nice trip down memory lane.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

TokyoMagic! said...

Sue, the style on that last one is very familiar to me, too. I think that particular style of artwork was used a lot in the 1970s...and maybe even in the 1960s, too.

I'm glad you enjoyed these. I think these might be the last of my vintage Valentines....but you never know. Maybe there are some hiding somewhere. I have some from the 90s, but I don't know if those are vintage enough yet!

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

Dean Finder said...

Ephemera like this are great time capsules of the era in which they're printed.

TokyoMagic! said...

Dean Finder, I agree with you one hundred percent! That's why I have kept them all these years.

Thank you so much for commenting! :-)

K. Martinez said...

Love these old Valentine's Day cards.

I loved Hallmark back in the 1970's. I was considered the best in that era. I really like the red Hallmark card with the dog. Great style.

The oddest one is the miner panning for hearts. Love the nephew card with the squirrel at the mailbox too.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be the food one though.

This was really a fun post. Thanks, TM!

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken, I do think that Hallmark had the best among greeting cards, back in the day. I remember they even advertised on TV. Do you remember a pre-Facts of Life Nancy McKeon, reading a card that her dad had just given her and telling him, "Daddy, I'm going to keep this forever!"

I love the graphics on all of these, and I'm glad I saved them. The miner card is kind of different, but I think that was just the beginning of some of the quirky cards that started being made the 1980s.

I just remembered that I have a vintage paper bag from a Hallmark store. It's from the 1970s and has Snoopy on it. I'll have to scan that and include it in a future "vintage greeting card post."

MB said...

The illustration of the little girl on the card kind of reminds me of some Little Golden Book art (see below link). Maybe that is why we all sense a familiarity. Enjoy your posts…thanks so much for sharing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPrayers-Children-Little-Golden-Book%2Fdp%2F0307021068&psig=AOvVaw2zoCgHgPX2QMDRvez8Gk5g&ust=1677441715690000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCJjBksO7sf0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

TokyoMagic! said...

MB, I do see a similarity there, in the artwork. I guess that was just a "style." I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the post. And thank you for commenting....I do appreciate the feedback!