Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Lead Exposure, Explosions, & Expanding Waistlines, at Disneyland!

Today's post can be filed under the heading of, "Tragic Kingdom."


On October 18, 2011, the Los Angeles Times published an article stating that, "Dozens of leaded-glass windows and brass rail chains, door knobs and drinking water fountains at some of Disneyland’s most popular attractions, expose children to high levels of lead.....according to an environmental group."



One of the items listed in the article, was the handle of the "Sword in the Stone," on display in Fantasyland.  There used to be a special "Sword In The Stone Ceremony," performed throughout the day.  During the ceremony, a young guest was picked from the audience to pull the sword from the stone and become "King or Queen of the Realm."  I believe that these ceremonies are no longer performed in the park, but guests can still approach the sword and attempt to pull it out on their own.  These pics of the official ceremony, are from December of 2006.


Another potentially hazardous object mentioned in the article, was the stained glass window in the door of the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

The brass doorknobs in Minnie's house in Toontown were also on the list.

The photo from the article, shows a stained-glass window in the former Village Haus restaurant.


The stained glass image was of Pinocchio.

In 2017, this restaurant was converted into the Red Rose Taverne, and is now themed to the film, "Beauty and the Beast."  The Pinocchio-themed stain glass window was removed at this time, and replaced with a red rose design.  The question now would be, does this new window also contain lead?

This Los Angeles Times article from ten years ago (May of 2013), is about an incident that involved a water bottle containing dry ice, exploding and causing the temporary closure of Toontown.

After that article had been written, it was later disclosed that there had actually been two bottles involved, and two explosions, just minutes apart.  A 23 year-old Disneyland employee was arrested the same day, and pleaded guilty 6 months later, to a misdemeanor count of possession of a destructive device.  He was sentenced to 36 days in jail, 3 years probation, and 100 hours of community service.

The subject of this last Los Angeles Times article isn't necessarily as tragic, as it is comical.  It's from 2007, and mentions how the park's It's A Small World attraction would be closing after the Christmas season, to fix a problem that had been plaguing the ride for quite some time.  The boats had been repeatedly "bottoming out" within their water-filled flume/track, and were getting stuck.

I had heard multiple stories of this happening.  In fact, just one year earlier, during a December 2006 visit to the park, I almost experienced it myself.  We were riding in a boat that contained mostly "full-grown" adults, and there were multiple times when we slowed waaaaaay down, and almost came to a complete standstill, because our boat was dragging along the bottom of the flume.

Awww, Al Lutz was quoted in the article!  How much do we all miss reading Al Lutz' articles on his website?  I know, I do!  At least Disney was gracious enough not to blame the "fattening of America" as the reason for the boats getting stuck.  Although they did mention the steady increase in the size of their employees, over the years.

By the way, that 2008 It's A Small World refurbishment also happened to include the addition of 29 Disney characters, shoehorned into scenes throughout the attraction.  Now it's sort of like a ride-through version of "Where's Waldo?", but with Disney characters.  I won't even comment on the addition of the "American room."  (T.R.E!!!)  I'm kind of surprised that by now, they haven't added a bunch of projections, made riders wear 3D glasses, and given everyone a laser gun, or a web-shooting device.  Soon, I suppose.

17 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I've searched all over the internet looking for the outcome to the suit filed against Disney by Mateel Environmental Justice Foundation and didn't find anything about the outcome of this case and if Disney started posting warnings about lead. I'd be curious to know what happened to this case and the end result.

Glad that 23-year-old cast member was arrested. They should've dressed him up as a pirate and nailed his feet to the floor in Pirates of the Caribbean as the first real human A.A. ;-)

About "it's a small world", at least Disney makes an effort to accommodate "oversized" guests unlike Universal which builds a Nintendo attraction that not even most regular men can ride.

Al Lutz was an interesting character, that's for sure. I wonder what he's doing now. Last I heard he had Parkinson's disease.

Interesting post. Thanks, TokyoMagic!

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken,

I'm pretty sure that I've seen warning signs about lead, somewhere on the Disney property in Anaheim. I just don't know if that was a result of the suit, or if those warnings were already posted. The article does mention that a Disney spokesperson stated that they believe they are in "full compliance" with the signage requirements."

Maybe that 23 year-old cast member didn't know that what he was doing was dangerous. Maybe he thought the ice would melt, and when it came time to go on his break, he'd have a nice cold bottle of water to enjoy? ;-)

That is interesting about Universal's new ride. Maybe they thought that adults wouldn't want to go on it? Or maybe they knew that they would, but like Disney, they just don't care anymore, and they'd rather save a few bucks by making the vehicles smaller.

I hope that Al Lutz is doing well! I haven't followed his site since he "retired," but I think someone told me that he still does his annual "April Fool's Day" posts.

MIKE COZART said...

Unfortunately The LA Times in the last decade writes more retractions than they do new articles … and like how REAL lead hadn’t been used in leaded glass window making since 1972 … I think guests going to Disneyland are safe from the 1983 Village Haus are fine. Can someone please let the LA Times know that the mine trains at Big Thunder are not really Runaway … and there’s no gunpowder in pirates and all the lanterns in Adventureland are kerosene and whale oil free …. Now the gas lamps on Main Street are another story.

I suspect you can find no outcome to the “suit” because everyone involved was fired for stupidity and wasting california
S time .

TokyoMagic! said...

Mike, ha, ha! I'm glad you cleared things up! Now I can sleep at night, because I had been licking that Pinocchio stain glass window.....and all of the metal chains in all of the attraction queues, for years! ;-)

MIKE COZART said...

I’m notorious for licking Disneyland brass door knobs!! I’ve been removed from Disneyland because of the times I climbed up onto the roof of the horse drawn street car to lick the bell dome. Can you blame me?

Major Pepperidge said...

I had no idea that there was ever an issue with the handle of the “Sword in the Stone” sword. I am glad that I saw the full show (maybe 15 years ago) - I was even chosen to be the dumb grownup who couldn’t pull the sword out, while a little blonde girl COULD. But I didn’t cry. Much. Is the lead in a stained glass window actually a hazard? It’s just sitting there. Maybe for employees who had to clean the windows?

Sometimes I don’t get why lead is in so many products - I remember when some dog food was pulled from shelves for having a high lead content. And the plastic in children’s toys was high in lead too. Plastic??

I vividly remember reading about those dry ice “bombs” that went off in Toontown. I’m sure the (stupid) employee never dreamed that his prank would wind up with him serving over a month in jail.

It feels cruel to comment on the appearance of guests, but it is hard to walk around the park and not be aware of the size of many of the visitors. I would assume that at least some of the rides would be “off limits” just because it would be too hard for them to board. I’m over 6 feet tall and found it tough to get in and out of some rides, so adding on 80 or 100 pounds… I can’t imagine. My heart goes out to them, I’m sure they’d prefer to not be that size.

Al Lutz! Gosh I used to read his stuff all the time. I assume he is “no longer with us”? I don’t know anything about the man himself. Those were the days when I looked at all the websites and read all the message boards, it was a lot of fun.

I don’t mind the addition of the Disney characters to IASW nearly as much as I mind the “American room”, which is tacky and poorly designed. Somebody tried hard to ape Mary Blair’s (or Rolly Crump’s) style and did a bad job of it. It’s just so unnecessary. I can just hear some outraged guest: “Why isn’t America represented in this ride? Do you hate America?”. Arg.

MIKE COZART said...

America was never suppose to be in Its A Small World ( NYWF, Disneyland , Walt Disney World ) since you were starting and ending in the USA . Two Americans were included in the “finale” celebration however . That “America” room was added based on a single piece of very very early ( unused ) concept art. Sometimes current imagineers are so desperate to be connected to earlier attractions or imagineers they make dreadful decisions… . The earliest concept ideas for its a small world started out as the world view of UNICEF as a kids rainy day indoor art project …. No doubt inspired partly to the special effects being worked on at the studios at the time for Mary Poppins with the kids, Mary and Bert going into the the different sidewalk paintings were going to play a bigger part in the film ..

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I think the problem is that small kids will put anything in their mouth. Plus, it doesn't just have to be ingested. I believe lead is also bad if absorbed through the skin. I do remember hearing about how in the past, lead paint was used on children's toys and even on things like baby cribs.

So far, the only vehicle at DL that I have had trouble getting in and out of, is the latest version of the Matterhorn Bobsleds vehicles. Worst. Design. Ever. But I can see where being "larger" could be a problem on other rides. Actually, when I went to the Tokyo Disney parks, a couple of their ride vehicles were not designed for tall people. I'm 6 ft. tall, and I had trouble on a couple rides, just from the lack of legroom.

I have to admit that the addition of the Disney characters to IASW was not as bad as I expected it to be. But I agree with you completely about the "American room." Poorly executed, totally unnecessary, and shockingly atrocious!

TokyoMagic! said...

Mike, I can picture you climbing on the roof of the Horse Drawn Street Car! And no, I can't blame you! Metal is just so tasty, especially with the addition of lead.

I remember an article that came out while the 2008 IASW rehab was in progress. They had interviewed a certain "Imagineer" and he was explaining away, about how the "Imagineer" in charge of the redo was so worried about "getting it right." Then he went on to say how he was at some convention somewhere (again, in the middle of the rehab), and he came across this piece of original Mary Blair concept art for IASW, and lo and behold, it was of an American scene. He said that he immediately contacted this "Imagineer" who was in charge of the project, to let her know that they were "spot on" with their decision to add an American scene....blah, blah, blah. I have learned over the years, that they will just say anything they want to, to make a story or situation sound better, or to fit their narrative. I remember thinking, just because you found original concept art for an American scene (if that part is even true), it doesn't mean that you should put one in the attraction. It was obviously NOT used at that time, FOR A REASON! Somebody in charge (maybe even Walt) had ruled it out. Doesn't that say something to them? Anything? Apparently, it does not. Okay, rant over!

MIKE COZART said...

Those original “stained glass” windows around 1983 New Fantasyland and mostly located in The Village Haus were created by imagineer Julie Svendsen. In the 90’s the Disney Gallery sold replicas of three of the Pinocchio themed stain glass windows …. They came in a wooden light box so you could either display them using electric lighting or real sunlight or you could put betel them in a real window casing… they were popular with guests , but they didn’t sell to well because of the cost. I think in the mid 90’s the smallest one was 5,000. That was lots of money then. I suspect those windows that were sold would probably command process 3-4 times the amount they first sold for.

TokyoMagic! said...

Mike, wow....I don't think I remember seeing those souvenir windows in the Gallery. I would've wanted one, but $5,000? That's too rich for my blood!

MIKE COZART said...

They really were not souvenirs per se …because they were duplicates of the full-size windows. Julie Svendsen made the replicas as well . I guess they are not replicas because she made them the same way. I remember a guest buying either 2 or all 3 versions … she had a 1929 Tudor revival house in Glendale abs she was going to have them actually installed into the walls abd used as real windows. After a short while they were in a catalog only as they took up too much floor space. There were plans to make some duplicates of the new fantasyland weathervanes … only one was produced by WDI and sold at the auction of one of the “official Disneyanna Conventions”

TokyoMagic! said...

Mike, Oooooh! A Mr. Toad weathervane would be too cool!

Nic Kramer said...

I think you are over-reacting on the changes. It's not that bad.

Nic Kramer said...

Yeah, Al Lutz sounded like a character... one with a bitter heart.

"Lou and Sue" said...

TokyoMagic, though I know you're covering some heavy topics in this post, I'm laughing at so much of this...IASW boats dragging, and licking door knobs and attraction queue chains. Ha!

I know that our friend Bu also experienced IASW from his backside, back in his TG years. I chuckle every time I hear his story.

BTW, I want a Mr. Toad weathervane, too!

Thanks, TokyoMagic, for a very interesting and enjoyable post and comments! I always love reading your blog.

TokyoMagic! said...

Sue, I know what you mean but, sometimes we do just have to laugh at such things!

I forgot that Bu had told a story of getting stuck in IASW, with one of his tour groups!

Thank you so much for the nice comment!