Friday, July 22, 2022

The Family Circus At Disneyland (1978) - Part 3

In the Summer of 1978, The Family Circus comic strip followed "the family" as they visited Disneyland, over a period of 27 consecutive days.  I have been posting a "week's worth" of those comics at the end of every week, within the month of July.  This is "Part 3."  Please check back next week for the fourth and final set from this series!  To see "Part 1," you can click HERE.  To see "Part 2," click HERE.

Sunday, August 6, 1978:

Monday, August 7, 1978:

Space Mountain was only one year old, at this point.

Tuesday, August 8, 1978:

The following day, the family was still waiting in line for Space Mountain.  Clever!

Wednesday, August 9, 1978:

Thursday, August 10, 1978:

I'm pretty sure that the short mouse wearing the pillbox hat and the large bow, is supposed to be "Bianca," from The Rescuers.  That film had it's original release just one year earlier, and it's characters were still being used within the park.

Friday, August 11, 1978:

This one is dedicated to Meet The World reader, commenter, and guest blogger, J.G.!  And he knows why!

Saturday, August 12, 1978:


8 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I like how for two days they were in line for Space Mountain. I'm not sure Peter Pan was a good alternative if you wanted a short line though. Maybe more like Swiss Family Treehouse or Adventure Thru Inner Space.

Love the knock-off Bianca. I think my favorite today is the one dedicated to J.G. Too funny!

Thanks for another fun week of Family Circus at Disneyland, TM! Looking forward to the final week.

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken, I also liked how they were in the same line for two days! And back in 1978, the father would not have had the $150 Genie+ App, so exactly how did he know that the lines for Dumbo and Peter Pan were shorter? Huh???

K. Martinez said...

"the father would not have had the $150 Genie+ App"

Actually, I think it would be great if he did an updated version of these comic panels with new captions to fit in today's Disneyland. I could get really sarcastic.

Anonymous said...

I don’t recall seeing any of these cartoons before...am enjoying them all.

KM, it would be fun to see some updated ones!

Thank, TM!

—Sue

Anonymous said...

Tokyo, thanks for the shout-out! That's really funny. I love how the trashcan "X" pattern design is copied from one of the standard Disney types. It would have been hard to draw the log cabin or bamboo pattern in the cartoon style. The X pattern was used in several locations and colorways, mostly around Frontierland from the Golden Horseshoe to NOS, and down as far as the Treehouse, and in parts of Fantasyland. Colors ranged from gold and blue to pink and blue.

...and the baby is pushing against the can, just like the sign says.

JG

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken and Sue, it would definitely be fun to see some updated versions of these comics, with sarcastic jabs at Disney!

JG, I had forgotten about that panel with the trashcan. As soon as I saw it again, I thought of you, because of your fairly recent habit of counting trashcans in Major P's photos. It's interesting that that is the only panel in the series without a caption. No caption was needed. Actually, I guess the "caption" is on the trashcan, itself!

Major Pepperidge said...

That Sunday page is interesting, the joke about ticket books would soon be out of date, I wonder how they changed that for the later reprints? I think they stopped using ticket books sometime in the early 1980s. By the way, you mentioned that somebody takes “Family Circus” strips and adds gross/offensive captions, I used to see those on a Tumblr blog, they were pretty bad! Though I admit that a few of them made me laugh. What can I say? Imagine the days when Space Mountain was new, that was such an exciting thing, even to wait in that line. That is definitely supposed to be Miss Bianca, and I love the mention of Barfy, the best name for a pet dog.

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, when the series was reissued by Bil Keane's son (for Disneyland's 60th), he skipped the panels which had captions referring to the tickets. He also skipped the "Bear Country" panel. And he removed the Skyway gondolas and the PeopleMover cars from the larger color panels. But for some reason, he left the old Fantasyland Theater in the background of one of the color panels.

The "alternate" caption for that first Space Mt. panel was, "I said when we get home, I'm leaving you and your mother!" Hilarious!