Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vintage Disneyland Hotel Stuff

.
.
I recently purchased Don Ballard's book entitled "Disneyland Hotel -The Early Years, 1954-1988" and I highly recommend it! I have not had time yet to sit down and begin reading it, but I am very eager to find the time. I my opinion however, It was worth the price of the book just for the photos alone! The book can be ordered on Don Ballard's website, http://www.magicalhotel.com/. There are also sample pages from the book that can be viewed on his site, as well as additional rare photos and scans of vintage DL Hotel brochures. Additional photos and information can also be viewed on his blog, http://magicalhotel.blogspot.com/.
.
Looking through the book made me think about the small amount of DL Hotel items that I have in my collection, so I dug deep to find them. It really is a VERY small number of items, but here they are.
.
These first two items are postcards. The first one shows the Sierra Tower and the second shows part of the miniature golf course that used to sit across from the DL Hotel on the corner of Cerritos Avenue and West Street. I remember purchasing both of these postcards at a Sav-On Drug Store back in the late seventies/early eighties.
.
.
.
Next, we have two packets of Domino sugar. These are from the early to mid 1980's and came from Mazie's Pantry which was located on the lower level of the Plaza Building at the DL Hotel.
.
.
This next scan is pretty large, but the actual item is about the size of a postage stamp. It is a validation sticker for one free hour of parking in the Disneyland Hotel parking lot. This is also from the early to mid '80's.
.
.
These stamps had glue on the back that could be moistened, and then applied to a parking ticket like the one below. Even though the stamp is square and the "Validate Here" area on the ticket is rectangular, that is the spot where the stamps would go. I remember there being a limit of two stamps/two free hours per ticket and that you would have to pay for any additional time that went beyond that. The validation stamps could be acquired at the various hotel shops and restaurants when making a purchase, but they preferred that you show the ticket so that the cast members could affix the stamp themselves. If you handed them a ticket that already had two stamps, they would tell you that they couldn't give you another one. I found out at some point that if I told them that I had left my ticket in the car, they would just hand me a stamp for me to lick and stick myself. This way, I was able to receive more than two stamps per visit, and save the additional ones for use at a later time in case I didn't purchase anything on my next visit.
.
.
Well, that's it for my collection of DL Hotel items....unless I uncover something later that I forgot about!
.

4 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Very nice post. Really like the old hotel alot.

Magical Hotel said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful words on the book and the sites. I truly appreciate it. I think my Hotel collection (obsession) now has over 5000 items. I would love to find some place to display these items as they are begging to be shown. Wish I could convince the folks at the Hotel to create a spot and I would gladly set it up. I'm sure folks would love to see this stuff.

outsidetheberm said...

Don's book really is pretty remarkable. Nice write up.

Snow White Archive said...

Wonderful post. Enjoyed the anecdote of your discovery on how to get additional parking validation stamps. Teenagers can sometimes actually be smarter than we give them credit. :)