Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Haunted Mansion - 42nd Anniversary!




Today, in honor of the Haunted Mansion's 42nd anniversary, we have yet another item from my childhood. It's the Disneyland Record and Book, "Walt Disney Presents The Haunted Mansion" from 1970. This is a "little" long playing record and has a different story and different artwork than the larger LP that was sold around the same time (the one with Ron Howard voicing one of the characters).

I've tried my best to record the audio. Sorry if the sound is a little "tinny" and also for any "pops" or scratches on the vinyl. If you click on the YouTube logo in the frame below, the audio will open in a separate window....that way, you will be able to follow along in the book while you listen. And you will know when it is time to turn the page when Tinker Bell rings her little bells like this, "Brrrrrrrrring"!

Let's begin now. Have you ever been in a Haunted Mansion? I have, and I'd like to tell you about it.....























Here's Part 2. After the story ends, there are two tracks from the 1964 Disneyland record, "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House" that were used as "filler" on Side B of the record.












Happy anniversary to one of my favorite Disneyland attractions!

To see my Haunted Mansion anniversary posts from the past two years, click here:
Haunted Mansion 41st Anniversary - 2010

And here:
Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary - 2009

7 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

This is awesome, and I LOVE the artwork! 24 pages, too, they didn't skimp. You can tell that this was aimed at a younger audience, and the artist was careful to make the ghosts more silly (always smiling) and not too scary.

I once downloaded the audio from this record and someone said that Annette was the reader, but I think that's not the case.

Ka-jiiiiiinnnnnng!

Connie Moreno said...

VERY cool!

Dan Alexander said...

I have and love this book and record, but I no longer have a record player. It's great to hear the story again!

The narrator is Robie Lester, who many people will remember as Miss Jessica (Mrs. Claus) from the Rankin Bass special, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."

When I was a kid, I made a tape of the Sounds of the Haunted Mansion and played it on Halloween for Trick-Or-Treaters.

Happy Anniversary Haunted Mansion!

Snow White Archive said...

Back in 2009, I purchased the "Song and Story" Haunted Mansion CD that came out, and wow, you're right, the "little" LP is definitely different than the one with Ron Howard. That's cool.

I also owned the 1964 Disneyland record, "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House." I played that record when I was a kid until there was nothing left of it but scratches.

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I never thought about that narrator sounding like Annette, but now I can see where someone might think that. Dan Alexander has the answer as to who the narrator is (see his comment above).

Connie, THANKS!

Dan, Thank you for the info on the narrator. I love all of the "Rankin Bass" specials!

SWS, My brother and I also played the heck out of our "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted Mansion" record. It somehow even got warped, but we still played it. I bought a "like new" copy of it at a flea market a few years back. Maybe I should think about posting once we get a little closer to Halloween!

Anonymous said...

42 Years! And to think that I, as a CM in those days, had the opportunity to ride the HM a few days before it opened to the public. Nice post!

...But It Wasn't Always That Way! said...

I have "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House", but I've never been able to listen to it! :-( I also acquired "Song and Story" last year - I LOVE seeing more of this artist's work! (Though I am glad they didn't trust this person with the final design for Madamme Leota...)