Friday, August 7, 2009

More Jungle Cruise

I forgot to mention in my last post that the two "lost" Jungle Cruise scenes were both added in 1976 and were created by Disney artist/genius, Marc Davis. Here are a couple more scenes of his that were also added in 1976.
.


.
In fact, the Jungle Cruise had quite a large makeover in 1976. Here again, is that Winter 1982/83 Disney News Magazine from my last post, but this time I've circled the scenes that were added in 1976. (By the way, this cover art is the work of Disney artist, Charles Boyer.)
.
.
The lions that are feasting on a zebra in the African Veldt scene were also changed in 1976, but I'm not sure to what degree since there were lions there previously (but without the surrounding rockwork), so I did not circle that scene. I believe the gorilla below was also removed at this time and there may have been changes made to Trader Sam too.
.
.
The Jungle Cruise has undergone some more changes in recent years including the addition of the piranhas, which I think was a good idea, but it just wasn't executed very well (helllooooo, I can see the water pipes/jets as the piranhas are jumping!) At the same time, the gorilla that was swiping at the crocodile was changed so that he is now reaching for a bunch of bananas sitting on top of a floating crate. The baboons that used to be sitting on the rocks near the African Veldt were also removed and the water that was trickling down the rockwork around them was turned off (why?). Some of these baboons were moved to a rock located just before the "deserted camp" scene....the one where the gorillas have taken over and are "having no trouble turning that jeep over."
.
I'm all ears if anyone would like to add any information on the most recent changes to the Jungle Cruise or any from 1976 that I may have left out!

3 comments:

...But It Wasn't Always That Way! said...

At some point since the 90's, they switched the tiger and the dancing cobras. Perhaps in 95?

TokyoMagic! said...

Hey BIWATW, Good eye! I never picked up on that!

...But It Wasn't Always That Way! said...

My mind is swirling now... we should get together and do a whole Jungle Cruise chronology. With our heads, I'll bet we can map out the entire thing!