Sunday, May 24, 2009

Farewell, Mickey Mouse Revue

.
The following description of The Mickey Mouse Revue is from Tokyo Disneyland's official website: "After a brief film presentation, you'll be treated to a concert of best-loved melodies from classic Disney animated films. The conductor is none other than Mickey himself! The Disney characters perform "live" through the magic of Audio-Animatronics. This attraction is found only at Tokyo Disneyland. *Closes permanently May 25, 2009."
.
There isn't much more to say about this attraction that I didn't already say in one of my posts about it back in March. A month ago, I did get a chance to see the attraction one last time, but the photos I took weren't really any better than what I had already taken in the past. I had already photographed it pretty extensively, because I kind of had a feeling that it might not be around forever. Well, today is May 24th in the U.S., but in Japan, it is already the 25th, so today is the day that the Mickey Mouse Revue will be having it's last performance ever. Once again, I have to say that I am very sad about it's closing. To see the detailed five-part series I did on this attraction, please click here: The Mickey Mouse Revue.
.
.
Today, I am presenting an assortment of items to honor this attraction that would have been turning 38 years old on October 1st of this year (Walt Disney World's anniversary).

The first three images are post cards of the attraction from when it was still at Walt Disney World.
.
.
Next, we have two Pana-Vue souvenir slides of the attraction. These are also from WDW.
.


.
This is a WDW pin from their "Remember When" series, commemorating the MM Revue. It's release date was March of 2007.
.
.
Here we have a new postcard that was purchased just last month at Tokyo Disneyland. The artwork on the postcard is a cross between (this poster) and (this one).
.
.
Below, is a pop-up card for the attraction that was sold at Tokyo DL about 3 years ago.
.

.
Here's something interesting. On my last visit to the Tokyo Disney parks, I found the employees handing out information cards in English for some of the attractions. This is something new at the parks. For the most part, the cards just give a description of what to expect once inside a particular attraction, but in some cases they give the attraction's "backstory"...as was the case for Tokyo's version of The Tower of Terror.
.
.
.
In my previous posts, I didn't include a photo of the attraction's exterior at night, so here's a night shot.
.
.
The MM Revue will be replaced by "Mickey's PhilarMagic," a 3-D movie that is shown at Walt Disney World in the same theater where the MM Revue once played. Take a look at these next three pics. The second one was posted here previously and was taken at WDW. The third pic was also taken at WDW, but after Mickey's Philarmagic had opened (over 20 years later.) I just want to say that I think it would be nice if maybe during the theater's conversion, the exterior marquee....and maybe even the indoor waiting area and it's murals, could possibly be left the same as they were for the MM Revue. They would fit in just fine with the new attraction since basically it's the same theme as the old show, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. If they do get rid of the original marquee, I would love to have the gold Donald and Goofy figures that sit on top of it....or even that gold treble clef!
.
Tokyo
.
Walt Disney World (Then)
.
Walt Disney World (Now)
.
Farewell, Mickey Mouse Revue....I'm missing you already!
.

1 comment:

outsidetheberm said...

The Mickey Mouse Revue will always be 'the one that got away'. Sorry I missed it. But thanks for the nice post.