Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Mickey Mouse Revue - Part 1

.
The year was 1971....I was in the second grade and Walt Disney World opened. I was fascinated with the fact that there was another "Disneyland" opening somewhere. I remember looking at photos of the park that were published in Life and Look Magazines. As I stared at the photos of The Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, and The Mickey Mouse Revue, I wondered what those attractions would be like (at that time, Country Bear Jamboree had not yet opened at Disneyland.)

Look Magazine

Well, I never made it to Walt Disney World until after The Mickey Mouse Revue had closed, but I did finally get to see The Hall of Presidents. I hope they NEVER remove that attraction, or Country Bear Jamboree for that matter....especially since Anaheim's has been removed. What I didn't know at the time I visited WDW, was that the Mickey Mouse Revue had actually been moved to Tokyo Disneyland. According to the book, "Realityland" by David Koenig, when the Japanese were touring Disneyland and WDW and making a list of attractions they would want in their park, the Mickey Mouse Revue was on that list. At that same time however, the staff at Disney was spread pretty thin due to the planning and building of EPCOT, so top management demanded that the attraction be taken out of WDW and shipped to Tokyo, instead of taking the time to build them their own version. The management at WDW tried to fight this decision, but top management won out (as usual) and the Mickey Mouse Revue was packed up and shipped to Tokyo where it opened with the rest of the park on April 15, 1983.


Life Magazine

I didn't actually find out about Tokyo having this attraction until I was planning my first visit to their park and was checking out the official website. Needless to say I was very excited, and when I finally did get to see this attraction in person, 33 years after first learning about it....it did not disappoint!
.
And now ladies and gentlemen, we present Tokyo Disneyland's Mickey Mouse Revue!
.
This is the entrance to the theater. I believe this is pretty close to what WDW's facade looked like.


The next two photos are close-up shots of some of the wonderful exterior details....gold figures of Goofy and Donald, dressed in medieval attire.





Posters located outside the theater announce what's inside. Music, Merriment and Memories.....how can anyone pass THAT up?



Featuring the WHOLE Disney gang! Well, a large portion of the Disney gang....the gang that existed up until 1971 at least (sorry, no Aerial, Belle, Simba or Aladdin....but that's okay!)



Your favorite Disney Stars performing Disney Songs! Let's go in!



Wait, let's check this out. This is a temporary sign for Tokyo Disneyland's 25th Anniversary. It designates this as one of the park's original attractions from opening day. It also explains the attraction's history along with some original artwork.
.


Below is the original attraction poster. Sorry for the blurriness of the photo! I think I used the macro setting on my camera when I really didn't need to.



I smiled when I first read this: "Anticipating the success of his first Audio-Animatronics show, The Enchanted Tiki Room, Walt Disney told an interviewer in 1962 that he would also like to create an animated musical revue starring "all the Disney characters." And so the first ideas for The Mickey Mouse Revue were born." I didn't know that!!!




Now we can go inside!



Konnichiwa! Yokoso! (That means Good afternoon! Welcome!)



Sorry, but this post has been quite long....my longest ever. We will take a look at the lobby and the pre-show in my next post. Please check back for Part 2. Arigato gozaimasu! (That means "Thank you very much!")

4 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

One of your BEST POSTS EVER! (no such things a too long of a post) I had no idea Walt was the inspiration for this attraction. You mentioned you might see the MMR before it closes, I hope you can get some good video. Thanks! Can't wait for Part 2.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love your site! Disneyland is my favorite place in the world. For some strange reason, I've been to Epcot, spent a day there, but my family did not want to go to Disneyworld. I found your site in order to reinforce my notion that the Bear Country show is still somwhere. Now I know I need to go to Disneyworld!

TokyoMagic! said...

Thank you, Anonymous! Come back anytime! And I hope you do make it to WDW at some point!