Thursday, January 1, 2009

The 1966 Rose Parade - Part 6

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE! Well, we have finally come to the end of this series.....and the beginning of the parade. This is the 1966 Rose Parade and below, is the official grand marshal of the parade, Walt Disney.


Following Walt Disney was the City of Burbank's float entitled, "Our Small World Of Make Believe." Note Mary Poppins and the penguin waiters on the table in front of her. "Mary Poppins" would have had it's Los Angeles premiere just 16 months prior to this.


I've included three publicity shots below. The first photo is of the 1966 Rose Queen, Carole Cota. I wonder what she's doing these days?
.

The next photo was labeled, "1966 Theme - It's A Small World." (Once again, at that time, the "It's A Small World" attraction had already been seen by millions of visitors to the 1964/65 New York World's Fair, but it wasn't going to have it's grand opening at Disneyland until later that year.) I think the lady on the left is Carole Cota....at least it looks like her and she is holding the larger of the two bouquets. Anyone out there happen to know who the lady on the right might have been?
.

This last photo wasn't labled at all and it was the most faded of all of them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do too much with the color. I don't think either one of these ladies is Carole Cota, but I can't be sure. Any ideas? The two ladies actually look like they might be twins. The two headlines on the prop newspaper read, "Pasadena Is Home Of Roses" and "Millions Enjoy Sunshine (last word not legible)". I leave you for now with this strange, faded, confusing photo! I hope everyone has enjoyed this series!
.

5 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Spectacular end to a fine series. Great seeing Walt, I wonder if he knew this would be his last "New Year"?

Looking over these slides of the parade I've decided I like the old parade better than the new ones, I could care less if the float articulates 67 directions, I want STYLE!!!! Thanks for taking the time to scan and post this series and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

TokyoMagic! said...

Thank you VDT! I was wondering the same thing about Walt, but I just read something online that said he wasn't even diagnosed until November of '66. He was only 65 years old! Just think of what else he might have been able to accomplish if he had lived another 10-20 years

Daveland said...

Fantastic series! It was always a family tradition to sit around the TV and watch the parade while eating cheese & crackers.

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks Dave! My family watched it on TV every year too. I've always thought I should go see it in person just once, so I can say that I did it, but the traffic, parking and crowds of people have always been a big turn-off for me.

boulevardsentinel.com said...

Carole Cota-Gelfuso is doing well, and is still a very attractive lady. She just laid her Father, Robert Cota, to rest last month with full Military Honors at Riverside National Cemetery.