Friday, July 3, 2026

America's 250th Birthday & The American Freedom Train (at the L.A County Fairgrounds)

Fifty years ago, our nation was celebrating it's Bicentennial birthday.  At that same time, the American Freedom train was traveling the country as a part of the Bicentennial celebration.

Here are some images of the American Freedom Train, when it made a stop at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds.  These photos happen to be from the Ralph and Florence collection.  They were all hand-labeled, and stated specifically that the train was, "In the west parking lot of the L.A. County Fairgrounds, Pomona."  These were dated, "December 1975."  Many of America's Bicentennial celebrations began in 1975, in anticipation of the upcoming bicentennial.  This also included Disneyland and Walt Disney World's official celebrations, which began in June of 1975.

Note how each of the train's cars had large windows, for viewing some of the exhibits.

Here's Florence waiting in line to enter the train.  According to what was written on the slide's mounting, they waited for two and a half hours!

This is Ralph and Florence's son, Alfred.  The vehicle in the window next to him has the NASA logo on it.  It appears to be a lunar rover/moon buggy.  According to Wikipedia, vehicles like this were used in the last three missions of the United States' Apollo program (15, 16, and 17) during 1971 and 1972.  Since all three of the actual vehicles used were left behind on the moon (following each mission), this one must have been one of the "test" vehicles or "trainer" vehicles, which are still around today, and on display in various museums.

The sign posted for this next item reads, "Friendship No. 1 (1849) - Hand pumped fire engines such as this beautifully restored vehicle were pulled to a fire by long lines of running men.  The early machines have long since been replaced by sophisticated fire equipment, yet it is still the men, the firefighters of America, on who's courage and sacrifice we depend for protection of life and property."


Unfortunately, those are the only photos they took during their visit to the Freedom Train.  But among Ralph's and Florence's set of slides that I acquired, were these two shots of a display created by Ralph.  This first one was dated December 24, 1975, and labeled, "Bicentennial Christmas display - created and painted by Ralph."

The date on this slide was January 1976, and Ralph's hand-written description was, "Comedy Paul Revere scene for Bicentennial."


Here's a random photo from June of 1975.  I'm including it here, because it sort of fits in with the Freedom Train exhibits, except that Ralph took this one at a Pasadena City College "camera show."  The image shows an Edison Home Kinetoscope and it's companion phonograph, which were used for early sound movies and were both patented in 1897.  The sign has a couple of misspellings.  First, is the actual name of the item.  The other is the spelling of the word, "Attempt."  A black celluloid cylinder, which predated flat disc records, can be seen on the phonograph.  The (phonograph's) sign also states, "For use in connection with the Edison Kinetoscope only."

Here's a vintage image from the internet, showing a row of Edison's Kinetoscopes.

To finish out this post, I'm including some Bicentennial items from my childhood.

These commemorative postage stamps and special "cover" envelope were officially postmarked on July 4, 1976.  My dad gave a set of these to both my brother and me.  The stamps are a representation of the 1817 painting by John Trumbull, "Declaration of Independence."

The flap on the reverse side included these logos.

A card containing a facsimile of all the signatures on the Declaration of Independence came with the envelope.

Both items came in this special "leatherette" folder.

Production of the two-dollar bill had been discontinued in 1966, but was resumed 10 years later and reissued on April 13, 1976 (Thomas Jefferson's birthday).  My great-grandmother went to her local post office in Long Beach, CA, and had a two-dollar bill stamped and postmarked for both my brother and me.  According to Wikipedia, you could only do this on the first day of issue for the bill, so the postmark on these reads, "APR 13 1976."

This block of stamps shows all three from this particular commemorative set.

The reverse side of the two-dollar bill was redesigned for it's 1976 reissue.  The reverse previously had a picture of Jefferson's Virginian home, "Monticello."  The new design (below) featured an engraved version of John Trumbull's "Declaration of Independence" painting.

I don't remember where I got this Bicentennial decal, but I've had it since childhood and never "stuck" it on anything.

I've also had this box of note cards since 1976.

They were manufactured by Hallmark.


There are still two unused note cards inside.

I posted both of these bicentennial-themed puzzles in 2020, in a post about "Vintage Disney Jigsaw Puzzles."  This first one is a Whitman "Frame-Tray Puzzle" for children, featuring only 12 pieces.

And this larger boxed version contains almost 500 pieces, and was manufactured by Springbok, a division of Hallmark Cards Inc.

In case anyone is interested, back in July of 2015, I posted several other Bicentennial items from my childhood, including a couple commemorative Pepsi cans, a pressed penny, and the Sunday comics section from the July 4, 1976 edition of The Los Angeles Times.

Happy 250th birthday, America!

****UPDATE****

I just found another issue of My Weekly Reader from elementary school (dated September 17, 1975).  I previously posted an issue from 1971, which had a cover story about the opening of Walt Disney World.  Interestingly enough, this issue did not have any more info about "America On Parade" at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, other than the very brief description below the cover photo.  There is a note at the bottom, stating, "See the Teacher's Edition of this issue for a special New Awareness Enrichment Section."  I think the Teacher's Edition had more info, because I do remember after these monthly papers were passed out to us, the teacher would review them with the class.

 Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:


This issue also contained a special "insert," for ordering books and posters through "Xerox Education Publications."



10 comments:

Dean Finder said...

There's something about Ralph's Bicentennial vignettes that looks equal parts Rankin-Bass special and Schoolhouse Rock

Chuck said...

^^^THIS^^^

TM!, I literally (like 30 minutes ago) was just looking at my family’s photos from when we saw the Freedom Train in Sacramento on Nov 28th, 1975. We waited almost four hours to see it, and I remember it seemed like forever. My parents said we were very, very good with that long wait. I had just turned seven and my sister was almost four. I still have a pennant from that day in storage somewhere.

Ralph and Florence’s photos would have been taken on Dec 23rd, 1975, while the train was on display in Pomona. The large display windows on the sides of the cars in the second photo were constructed behind the door openings of the baggage cars that were modified into the train’s display cars. The actual displays were inside the cars, and guests rode on moving sidewalks past the displays from left to right. I remember it moving much faster than I wanted it to, but I guess it was necessary to keep the lines moving.

The other cars with many windows were more heavily modified and coupled near the front of train. The only displays I remember in those were the lunar rover seen here and a replica of the Liberty Bell, although seeing the fire engine also, er, rings a bell.

Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope you have a Glorious Fourth, TM!

TokyoMagic! said...

There's something about Ralph's Bicentennial vignettes that looks equal parts Rankin-Bass special and Schoolhouse Rock.

Dean Finder, I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. But I can see that now! (Paul Revere is a "Person, Place or Thing," just like The Monkees, The Beatles, and Chubby Checker!")

I forgot to mention in the post, that I had done a little research on Ralph and Florence, and found out that Ralph was a college art teacher for many years! I haven't finished scanning all of their slides yet, but I think there might be one or two close-ups of some oil paintings. I'll have to check and see if the labeling on those state that they are Ralph's work, as well.

TokyoMagic! said...

I literally (like 30 minutes ago) was just looking at my family’s photos from when we saw the Freedom Train in Sacramento on Nov 28th, 1975.

Chuck, that IS a coincidence! Wow, if you were only seven, and you were able to wait patiently in line for almost 4 hours, then that's quite an accomplishment at that age! I bet you never waited in line for 4 hours for any Disney park attraction!

Thanks for the exact date that the train was in Pomona. These were only labeled with the month and the year. I never would have guessed that the train stopped for just one day, before moving on to another city. I would have thought that it might have stayed in one place for at least a couple days. No wonder the wait times were so long!

Thanks also, for the info about the "windows." I was actually wondering about that, and just figured that they cut holes in the sides of the cars. But now that you've said they were adapted from the cargo doors, I can totally see it! And that's really something, if they were able to install a "moving sidewalk" inside the train cars! I guess they had to, otherwise the wait times would have been even longer. I hope at the very end of the moving sidewalk, there was a miniature lady with a projected face telling everyone to "Hurry Baaaaaaaack!" Betsy Ross, perhaps? Or maybe Betty Ford?

Do we know who made the replica of the Liberty Bell or where it is today? I know Bud Hurlbut made more than one copy of the Liberty Bell. I wonder if he could have been involved with the one that toured the country? If not him, then maybe Betty Ford? ;-)

Chuck said...

TM!, the Freedom Bell, which is a twice-life-size replica of the Liberty Bell, was designed by the I. T. Verdin Company of Cincinnati, but because no American foundry had the facilities to cast a bell of that size, it ended up being made in the Netherlands by Royal Bellfounders Petit & Fritsenl.

A gift to the American people from the American Legion, it’s been on display in front of Union Station in Washington, DC, since 1981. I’ve seen it there but have no memory of understanding it was the same bell I had seen in November of 1975 on the Freedom Train.

For more info, the bell actually has its own Wikipedia entry!

TokyoMagic! said...

Chuck, thank you for that additional information about the bell!

.........because no American foundry had the facilities to cast a bell of that size, it ended up being made.....

Funny, before I got to the "in the Netherlands" part of that sentence, I thought you were going to say, ".....it ended up being made out of chocolate!" Ha, ha!

Major Pepperidge said...

I saw the Freedom Train (I guess there was more than one, Chuck told me that factoid) when I lived in Pennsylvania. I remember a few things like the moving sidewalk though a train, which was interesting. And I remember Lincoln’s stovepipe hat, and Wilt Chamberlain’s shoes. And FDR’s collection of rocks that looked like celebrities (joking). Aw, Ralph and Florence! They are like family now. I’m sure I have more photos of them somewhere. But I am unorganized. The Moon Buggy is cool, I don’t remember seeing that, I wonder if it was in my version of the Freedom Train? But at least I got to see a rock that looked like Clark Gable.

How did they get some of those large objects into the train cars? Maybe they had special roofs that opened up. Or something. Imagine being so into the Bicentennial (which people definitely were) that Ralph made that display! Thanks to a certain individual, I feel much less fervent about the 250th.

What is up with the misspellings on that sign? Embarrassing. Now I’d better spell everything correctly, or I will be the laughingstock of Buckingham Palace.

I think I have a commemorative coin set from 1976, and maybe some stamps too. Where are they? No idea. I’ve always liked $2 bills, and have a few that I’ve saved. You should put that “Happy Birthday America” decal on your Harley!

I had a shirt with that “Spirit of ’76” Mickey/Goofy/Donald artwork, I loved it. I finally outgrew it.

Wow, My Weekly Reader! I loved those when I was a kid. I swear I remember one that came with a flexi-disk… the main article was about how a record was made, and it had Aerosmith’s “Dream On”, including Steven Tyler’s overdubs (which made the class laugh). I’ll bet that would be worth something these days.

Thanks, TM!

JB said...

The Freedom Train. I had forgotten about that. I think it came through our town (Eugene, OR) as well, but I didn't see it. We were in Disneyland in August of '75, maybe that's when it came through our town. Pretty sure a couple of my relatives saw it though.

I have to echo what Dean Finder and Chuck said about Ralph's miniatures. I definitely see some Rankin-Bass in the Liberty Hall set and the human characters. Paul Revere looks like he just rode out of a Schoolhouse Rock segment. I wonder if Ralph made those human figures?

I'm afraid I feel the same ennui about America's 250th as the Major... and for the same reason.

A timely post, Tokyo! Thanks.

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I didn't know that there was more than one Freedom Train! Did you know there was a "Freedom Plane" traveling to select cities this year? I think the exhibit was made up entirely of historical "documents." For Los Angeles, the plane arrived at Van Nuys Airport in April of this year, and the items were transported to USC for exhibition. I would have gone, but since it didn't include the Ruby Slippers or Fonzie's Leather Jacket, I said, "FORGET IT!"

I might have gone to see a rock that looked like Clark Gable! I saw one of Lincoln's stovepipe hats back in the 1990s, at the Huntington Library. They also had Mary Todd's chamber pot! No joke! Unfortunately, they weren't letting people try on the hat, or use the chamber pot. I hope you got to try on Wilt Chamberlain's shoes! Or did you say they were Richard Chamberlain's shoes?

I agree with you about Ralph and Florence being like family now. I wish that I had more of their slides. Well, actually I do have more that I still need to scan. I'm not sure how interesting they will be. I know some were taken during a trip to Oregon. Oh, and I will have a few more "1970s So. Cal. Mall" posts, featuring their slides. I've already scanned those!

How did they get some of those large objects into the train cars?

Maybe they took the windows out in order to put the large items into the train cars? Or in the cases where Chuck said the windows were adapted from cargo doors, maybe they put the large items in before installing the windows?

I do have some bicentennial quarters, .50 cent pieces, and silver dollars, but I decided not to try and photograph them. I also have a couple original $2 bills from the 1950s. They have Monticello on the reverse side. I remember someone used them to buy ice cream in the Cable Car Kitchen Ice Cream Parlor at Knott's. They were like brand new, so I asked my supervisor if I could buy them from the cash register drawer. Maybe they are worth thousands now! ;-)

Speaking of being worth thousands, I hope you still have that Aerosmith flexi-disc! And your Disney t-shirt! I have a poster with the Disney "Spirit of '76" characters on it. I remember buying it in the Main Street Emporium! It hung on my wall for about a year, but I think it was replaced by a Space Mountain poster.

And I'm right there with you on the 250th. I had ZERO interest. Sad!

TokyoMagic! said...

JB, I forgot that you were in Oregon. Maybe I'll have to ask you some info about Ralph and Florence's Oregon slides, once I scan them. Although, Ralph seemed to label his slides pretty thoroughly. That's too bad that you missed the Freedom Train when it came through your hometown. But if you were at Disneyland, then maybe it was an even trade off?

I can't be sure, but I have a feeling that Ralph didn't make the actual dolls used in his display. Some of them look like decorations that were available for purchase at that time. But he might have "adapted" some of them. I think it was a nice touch for him to put Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus in a second-story window of Independence Hall! And since Ralph was a college art professor, I just bet that he drew the details of both Independence Hall and Paul Revere and his horse!

As I said to Major, I felt the same way about the 250th. I saw multiple posts about that on F.B. A friend of mine said she remembers the excitement of the Bicentennial, and all of the related activities and celebrations that took place that year. However, she was feeling sad about the 250th this year. I told her that maybe in another 50 years, we will be "heads in a jar," and we will be able to celebrate the country's Tricentennial! :-/