Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Santa's Village: Part 3 - The Good Witch's Bakery & Mrs. Claus' Spice Kitchen

Nibble nibble at my house.....Hey kids, it's the Good Witch's Bakery at Santa's Village!



And it's still standing today!





The building has seen better days, but at least Gingy still has both of his gumdrop buttons.



There's that spur section of monorail track that we saw in yesterday's post. And there's one of the cars that we saw being stored on it.



The place is like a ghost town....creepy! I believe that colorful structure to the left of the Good Witch's Bakery was the Wee Puppet Theater, but I'm not positive. I don't have a vintage shot of it for comparison. The building that is partially visible on the far left was Mrs. Claus' Spice Kitchen.



Here's a map and an aerial photo to show where we are in the park.





Here's a better look at Mrs. Claus' Spice Kitchen.



And this is how it appeared back in the day.



We will end today with a vintage interior shot of the building. It looks like Mrs. Claus is trying to peddle her jams and jellies. Who does she think she is....Cordelia Knott?

9 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Which one's Mrs. Claus? ;) Ah lots of pink and pectin.

Thanks for the then & now photos & postcards. :)

Major Pepperidge said...

TM!, are those buildings used for anything, or are they just standing there, empty and sad? So amazing that they are still around, looking very much like they used to. I want one of those Bumblebee Monorail cars to hang from my ceiling.

TokyoMagic! said...

Chiana, it's not the lady on the right....she thinks she's Marilyn Monroe in that pleated dress!

Major, I'm not sure. It looks like some of the buildings could be just sitting there and maybe others are being used for storage. The refurbished entrance building looks like someone might be living in, or working out of it. I want a bumblebee car too, but I would also want a small circular piece of track for it go around in a circle all day.

Snow White Archive said...

"The place is like a ghost town." I was thinking the exact same thing.

Oh...I'll take a bumblebee car a short loop of track too! :)

JG said...

Looks like Santa's Village has become "Calico North".

Sigh.


Still cool post, thank you.

JG

Anonymous said...

You are correct on the Puppet shop. I worked at the Bakery during my high school years. My understanding is that nothing happened to the park at all once it closed in 1998, so it doesn't surprise me it is vacant and breaking down, as sad as it is.

Unknown said...

The Villiage is open again, however heard tell us not the same, doesn't really matter though, the children needed it back and will do did some of us now adults. Looking for the Pixie Dips Mrs. Clause use to sell, omg was that the best!!

Unknown said...

So Cool to have it back up ! I went to the Scott's Valley one in 1968 when I'd just turned 3yrs. Old. I remember the mushrooms because they were so big and high and us kids got pictures on Santa's lap... innocent times.

TokyoMagic! said...

Unknown (and Unknown!), it is nice to know that something has reopened on the property and that many of the same buildings are in use, again! Having said that, I still have not been up there yet to check it out.