Monday, May 24, 2010

The View From Club 33

This is the 7th and final part to my Disneyland "Club 33" series.

Today we will take a look at the view from Club 33's windows and balconies. All of the French doors in the Main Dining Room open out onto balconies.


Of all the times that I have been to Disneyland, I've never seen people standing out on the balconies above New Orlean's Square. Have I just never looked up and noticed, or is it something that Club 33 diners tend not to do? Once our server told us that we were welcome to open the doors and go outside, I wasn't going to pass up the chance.


These next two photos were taken from the balcony on the east side of the Main Dining Room, looking across Royal St. towards the stairway of the Disney Dream Suite (formerly The Disney Gallery.)



This shot was taken from the same balcony, but from around the corner looking back at Royal St. The shop below is what used to be the One-Of-A-Kind Antique Shop....I don't know what it is called now, but it's the shop that carries all the Jack Skellington merchandise.


This shot was taken from the corner of the balcony looking back towards the Blue Bayou Restaurant.


Here's the exit to Pirates of the Caribbean......


....and here's the Blue Bayou. That fourth doorway on the right is the entrance to Club 33. The space upstairs is Club 33's Trophy Room.


As mentioned in an earlier post, Club 33 gets it's name from it's street address, "33 Royal St." Just in case anyone is keeping track....the Blue Bayou's address is "31" and the shop next door is "35 Royal St." The umbrellas in the bottom right corner are for the Portrait Artists. Later, we'll see another shot of them taken from the Trophy Room across the way.


This balcony is accessed from the west end of the Main Dining Room and faces north towards the Rivers of America.


The view directly below is of the Cafe Orleans Restaurant.



The Rivers of America were still drained at the time of this visit. The Mark Twain Riverboat can be seen off to the left under tarps.


That same balcony wraps around the building to the side facing Orleans Street.



The shop across the street used to be Mlle. Antoinette's Parfumerie. The old sign in the shape of a perfume bottle still exists and can be seen (partially) in the photos above and below. I don't remember what is in this shop space today.


Here's the view looking down Orleans Street.....


....and here comes Princess Tiana!



This is the view from a window in Lounge Alley.


And this shot was taken from a window on the other side of Lounge Alley, looking down at "35 Royal St."......


....and the Blue Bayou entrance.


Now we'll take a quick look out the windows of the Trophy Room.


Here's the view looking down at Royal St. That second story that we see over the street is part of Lounge Alley.


If we pan to the right, we see musical instruments that have been left out on the balcony across the way.


And looking straight down, we see the Portrait Artist's cart and umbrellas.


Well, this wraps up my Club 33 series of posts. I hope everyone enjoyed the tour!

9 comments:

Daveland said...

Great overhead shots of Tiana!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW!!!! This set of photos really gets to what makes Club 33 so special, the VIEWS! This series was excellent, thank you so much for taking the time to post it. Its almost like I was there, now if I ever do get in I can leave the camera in the car! THANKS AGAIN!

Annie said...

LOVED this series! I want those railings so bad for my house! haha
Thank you so much for posting these. Really really enjoyed it :)

Unknown said...

Great series. This post was my favorite. Club 33 offers some amazing views...

Dan Alexander said...

Wow, this was wonderful! Thanks for bringing us along!

Cory Gross said...

Amazing! Club 33 is one of my unfinished bits of business from Disneyland and I will go. These views are incredible and accent the theming so much more. New Orleans Square looks great from the balconies!

Chuck said...

Late to the party, I know, but I am so glad they let you out onto the balcony, particularly since some of these views have changed in the intervening six years.

On my one and only visit to Club 33 in 1995, when I asked if we could step out onto the balconies the server told us in no uncertain terms that we were forbidden from opening the doors; management was worried that ordinary guests would see us and start asking questions. I tried taking pictures through the curtains and from Lounge Alley, but when I went to have the film developed, the processor broke down with my film in it. What I got back was muddy, murky, creased, and even had a couple of holes in it. It's the only roll of film I've ever shot that was destroyed in processing.

I still have my memories, though...and your posts have helped to jog them. Thanks!

TokyoMagic! said...

Chuck, talk about Murphy's Law! Wouldn't you know it? A once in a lifetime experience and your film is ruined. That is just awful. Like you said, you still have your memories. My grandfather used to say, "What do I need pictures for, I was there!" I am glad though, that these posts were able to help jog your memories!

Chuck said...

Thinking of the timing of my visit (September 1995) and discussion today on your April 8th, 2016 blog, the "don't draw attention" management concern seems terribly indicative of the Pressler era and dovetails perfectly with your comments about CMs spouting the party line after obvious disasters like "Light Magic." And people wonder why Disney press releases are taken with a grain of salt...